|Irradiation Range||0-1999 µW/cm² Total UV|
|Response||280-400 nm (UVB thru UVA)|
|Conversion Rate||3.0 Readings/Sec|
|Display||3.5 Digit LCD|
|Digit Size||0.4 (in) / 10.2 (mm) high|
|Operational Temperature||32°F to 90°F / 0°C to 37.8°C|
|Operational Humidity||5% to 80% RH|
|Dimensions||4.2L x 2.4W x 0.9D / 106.7L x 61W x 22.9D (mm)|
|Weight||4.5 (oz.) / 128 (g) Including Battery|
|Power Source||9-Volt DC Battery|
|Agency Approval||CE Mark|
Sensor The semiconductor UV sensor consists of a photodiode chip and a UV filter. The sensor is completely insensitive to visible light longer than 400 nm and infrared radiation, since its spectral response covers only the UV region from 260 to 400 nm. Applications of the sensor include solar UV detection, as the spectral response is well matched to the solar UV spectrum.
Operation To operate your Solarmeter, aim the sensor window located on the top panel of the meter directly at a UV source. Press and hold the push-button switch on the face of the meter. For best results take note of the distance the reading was taken from the UV source in order to ensure repeatable results. Battery operation voltage is viable from 9V down to 6.5V. Below 6.5V, the numbers on the LCD display will begin to dim, indicating the need for battery replacement. Under typical service load, a standard 9V battery will last around 2 years.
Proper Usage of Solarmeter® Ultraviolet Radiometer for low level UV measurements.
- When checking home, business, school, or car window UV transmission, take reading through window or film and compare to outdoor reading. Note: The sensitive Model 5.7 reading only goes up to 1999 uW/cm², wheras full sunlight can exceed 5000 uW/cm²... or 5.0 mW/cm² on a Model 5.0 meter.
- For household lighting including compact fluorescents, take reading near lamps and again at several inches or feet distance, to see how far away the UV falls below 1 uW/cm².
- For gym or stadium lighting take readings at floor level. If concerned about amount of UV, ask the owners to have UV-block shields installed under the lamps.
- Do not subject the meter to extremes in temperature, humidity, shock or dust. Store meter away from humidity when not in use.
- Use a dry, soft cloth to clean the intrument. Keep sensor free of oil, dirt, etc.